As a result of a complete reform for the Science and Technology (S&T) governance system in Egypt, carried out by the Ministry of State for Scientific Research, in 1997 a Higher Council for Science and Technology (HCST) and a Science and Technology Development Fund (STDF) were established.
The Higher Council for Science and Technology (HCST)
· The HCST is chaired by the Prime Minister of Egypt. The main goal of the HCST's is to strategically plan for the utilization of scientific research for economic and societal development. Funding for RDI will consist of two key components: 1) continued supply-side funding for the operational expenses of existing institutions, at reduced level, from the Ministry of Finance; and 2) much enhanced funding of RDI projects on a competitive base, from the newly established Science and Technology Development Fund (STDF).
Science & Technology Development Fund (STDF)
· The Science and Technology Development Fund enables and encourages environment, effective and better utilization of available funds and natural resources for the service of scientific progress and technological development. It improves Egypt’s contribution to global scientific advancement, develops its scientific and technological intellectual capital; and increases the contribution of science and technology to developing Egypt via a knowledge-based economy. This domains lack international cooperation.
Academy of Scientific Research & Technology (ASRT)
The ASRT was established in September 1971 as the national body responsible for science and technology in Egypt. Since ASRT reorganization in 1998, the ASRT is considered a public authority with an independent status. The Academy performs the following functions:
· Recognize scientific excellence and its application through the development and implementation of programs of merit based grants and awards for distinguished scientists and researchers
· Plan and promote scientific research and technological development programs and projects of a national and interdisciplinary character, providing the financial and material resources necessary for their implementation
· Raise national awareness of the importance of scientific research and technology towards sustainable development
Ministry of Scientific Research & Technology (MOSR)
MOSR fund and support Scientific Research and Innovation through several programs such as:
· Innovation funding programmes from Base to Product “RDI and MOBTAKRON”
· Small-Business Innovation Research Programs “HelolnaBekolna”
· Technology Finance Programs “Industry Research Alliance IRA”
· New Technology-based Start-up Programs in collaboration with MTDC
Within the same context, MOSR established and sponsored many specialized networks and clusters that promote new technologies with linkages to industrial applications.